Friday, January 30, 2009

Farmers Market Quiche

Hopefully this will redeam my apples and peanut butter post!
I was given some goose eggs and decided to make a meal to incorporate them. So I made a savory pie crust....I used the recipe from Ina Garten's Apple crostata and left out most of the sugar. I then looked in the fridge to see what vegetables I had. this is what I came up with:

2 small onions
1 spear brocolli, florets and stem
1/2 portabella shroom
1 leaf of kale, finely chopped
left over tomato soup from night before
pinch thyme
S and P to taste

2 goose eggs(2-3 chicken)
11/4 cup milk
1 cup crated cheddar(whatever you have)

I sauteed onions and mushrooms until soft, with salt. Added the brocolli and then kale and cooked for about 10 minutes. Added about 1/2 cup of tomato soup (which was really yummy so knew it would give some good flavor...it was mostly for flavor) added pepper and thyme.
mixed eggs with milk and added cheese, added to veg mix over low heat and just warmed it up to incorporate...about 2 minutes. poured this into my pie crust and baked at 375 for 45 minutes.
It was really good!

crust:
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat
1/2 cup butter
salt
pulse in food processor until cornmeally
add 2 tbles cold water while mixing
put out onto counter and kneed.
This will make 2 doughs. I like this recipe because I can use the dough right away, no need to refrigerate.

I called it the farmers market quiche because I got almost everything at the wednesday market. how fortunate we are to have that market! You could add any vegetables and the key for me is to chop small so the kiddos don't freak out with big chunks! Enjoy!! and thanks for all the great recipes....PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment